CHECKING an INJURED or ILL ADULT WHO APPEARS TO BE UNCONSCIOUS
- Check the scene for safety, then check the person. Tap their shoulder and shout, “Are you OK?”
- If no response, call 9-1-1.
- If unconscious person is facedown, roll face up while supporting head and neck.
- Open airway by tilting head and lifting chin. Check for movement and breathing for no more than 10 seconds.
- If person is breathing, leave them in the same position and monitor the airway, breathing and circulation.
- If person is not breathing, check for any obvious bleeding and apply pressure as necessary. If you are trained in CPR then proceed as you have been trained. If you are not trained then see if there is a trained person who can initiate CPR or wait for emergency personnel.
Source: Cayman Islands Red Cross
Disclaimer: The Emergency Guide is provided as a reference only. Every effort has been taken to acquire and publish accurate information provided by medical authorities. In case of emergency, always call or have someone CALL 9-1-1.